Planning an overseas holiday? If you suffer from back pain, a long haul flight can make matters a lot worse!
- Try to get up and move regularly when flying. Sitting for too long in the same position can cause stiffness and pain.
- Request an aisle seat, from the airline, so you can stand up easily, without constantly disturbing others.
- Do some simple stretches at the back of the plane if possible.
- Why not try stretching in your seat; neck rolls, rolling your shoulders back and forth or raising your hands as high above your head as possible are good ideas.
- Try to pack as light as possible – a small backpack that distributes weight evenly can also help once you’re at the destination.
- Before your trip invest in anything that might help to decrease the pain; lumbar pillows, seat cushions and heating pads are all useful.
If you’re worried about your back while flying make sure to contact the airline as they are likely to have some advice and be aware of making sure you’re comfortable when you’re on board.
Most importantly – make sure to enjoy your holiday!